CITES Standing Committee
The Standing Committee members are Parties representing each of the major geographical regions (Africa, Asia, Europe, North America, Central and South America, the Caribbean and Oceania). It includes a representative from the Depositary Government (Switzerland), one of the Party that hosted the previous CoP meeting and one of the Party that will host the next CoP meeting. At every regular meeting of the CoP is the Standing Committee membership reviewed.
The role of the Standing Committee is to:
- provide policy guidance to the Secretariat concerning the implementation of CITES;
- oversee the budget management ;
- coordinate and oversees the work of other committees and working groups;
- fullfil tasks given by the CoP;
- draft resolutions for consideration by the CoP.